If today is your first day of class – please view the blog post from Friday and Wednesday (click on Friday and Wednesday’s date on the calendar at the bottom of the page.)
Today it’s time to get to work!
Even if you don’t have a website, you probably already have an online presence – through Facebook, MySpace, etc. As a learner in the 21st century – it is important for you to know how to create your own website. We’ll be working on this project, your portfolio, throughout the semester. Today, we’ll build the structure of your site, create an introduction page, and write your autobiography page. You’ll be using your website throughout the semester to store, display, and reflect upon course projects.
The tool for this project is Google Sites. This tool works like a combination website, blog, and wiki all rolled into one, and we’ll be using it for all three functions. You’re going to be really amazed at what you can create without knowing anything about HTML code!
Go to: http://sites.google.com and log in.
Let’s view a few sample websites created using Google Sites:
Our tasks for today:
- Create a home page
- Insert an image
- Write a few sentences or list about what you hope to learn this semester
- Create an “About Me” page
- Insert 2-3 pictures
- Include 2-3 links to relevant websites
- Write 2-3 paragraphs about yourself
- Edit the sidebar navigation
- Make sure there are links to all of your pages from the menu
- Order the pages to start with Home and follow with About Me
We’re just getting comfortable with the tool – so we’ll mess up a few times – but in a few weeks we won’t remember what is was like to not be able to create web pages.
1. Finish your Home and About Me page. We will share these on Monday.
2. Start thinking about what audience you’ll be creating activities for this semester. What grade level: PreK-2, 3-5, 6-8, or 9-12? Are you interested in science, speech therapy, special education, mathematics, history . . .?
3. Make sure you have your book by Monday.